Tuesday, September 13, 2011

The remedy...

I'm sure you've heard that saying "Laughter is the best medicine"...in some ways it's true.  It's the best medicine for your mental well being - or at least it feels that way.  Just got done cracking up laughing with the family for the past hour or so.  It started with us cracking up hearing something being discussed on a show called River Monsters...a man had this little fish swim up his penis.  So for a good 20 minutes every sentence had to contain the word penis.  I know, very grown up of us...but it was hysterical nonetheless.  Then it snowballed into my husband and my daughter just being completely loony - that I just couldn't help but laugh.

This morning was my first weekly visit with Tess.  She arrived at my house around 8am, we quickly got set up for my weekly blood draw.  5 vials later - it was time to prep to change the dressing over my picc line and swap out the lines for new ones.  Tess hands me a face mask - I had to giggle.  Had my daughter keep our one dog out of the room, so I didn't have worry about her contaminating anything.  I put my little mask on - Tess had hers.  She started by removing the clear covering that was over the whole site.  Next was the biodisc - this thing is actually pretty cool.  It's a little disc that sits right where the tubing goes into my arm.  Should water get under my bandaging, the biodisc (which is like a little sponge) will puff up but will also activate an antiseptic to help prevent an infection while I was to see my nurse.  Then she removed the adhesive bracket that holds the line in place.  Next it was time to clean everything - which she did with this little wand and sponge thingy.

Tess said the site itself looked great.  Since the biodisc came out, they don't have to stitch the line into place - which personally makes me happy.  The cleanser that she used burned a little when she would swipe it around where the tubing enters my arm - she said this was normal, especially since the site is only a week old.  She applied all new bandaging and I was ready to hook my TPN bag up for the day.

So my day with my bag started later than usually - which definitely made the countdown this evening all that more challenging.  But I am free now and enjoying my time in my jammies, snuggled on the couch with a pillow and blanket.  I am completely looking forward to the time when I can snuggle up on the couch and the fireplace is going - my absolutely favorite thing in the fall/winter.

I think I will sleep with my heated blanket tonight.  All snug-a-bugged up (like my daughter would say).

Pleasant dreams my friends.

And don't forget to laugh until your sides hurt...it really does help!

1 comment:

  1. i'm personally convinced that if antiseptics don't burn when you use them, they don't work!! just like mouthwash! i love brianna's saying, i'm gonna steal it! see you both later :)

    ReplyDelete