Sunday, September 4, 2011

An even mix of highs and lows...

Another fun-filled day in my hospital adventure.

Last night once I fell asleep, I actually got a few hours of sleep - surprisingly.  The gentlemen across the hallway was quite the entertainment again.  The male nurse, Sean, who was responsible for taking care of each of us - had to quickly leave my room and run over to the other guy's room because once again he was trying to escape his bed.  Well, Sean was being polite as he tried to explain the escape artist why he was once again being strapped back down to his bed.  For whatever reason, maybe it was because Sean's crotch was at the escape artist's head height - he decided to start yelling and accusing Sean of sexually molesting him.  Sean threw his hands up in the air, laughed and walked out of the room and said I'm done with all of this.

So I felt rested enough this morning when I woke up - that I decided to stay up.  Surprisingly, I was up before the GI team was out and about making their rounds.  Was trying to stay in a positive mind frame knowing that today had the possibility of presenting with some new challenges.  My nurse for today was Jill.  I like her - she is a bubbly young girl with cute curly hair that reminds me of my youngest niece.

Jill came in letting me know that I needed to have some Potassium treatments this morning - two bags worth.  I asked if I could take a shower at some point today - she said that was fine and we decided that I would start the Potassium treatment afterwards.  I took my shower - doing the best I could with really only being able to use one arm because of the placement of my IV - so I am sure I missed a few spots while trying to shave my legs :)

After my shower and all cleaned - Jill came in and we started getting set up for the Potassium treatments.  She flushed my IV line and we immediately saw that I was having a problem with the line.  Yup - needed a new IV started - oh joy.  Twice she tried to start a line and both times the blown veins.  She asked another nurse to come in and see what she could do.  She would try a total of four times - each time, blown veins.  So I sat and waited while we came up with a plan. 

Actually I sat and cried while they figured out a plan.  It was another one of those temporary moments where I just didn't want to do this anymore and I just wanted to be healthy.  I texted my friends that were planning on visiting today, my husband, my parents and my brother - to let them know what was going on.  I sent my husband the following message "They're having a problem with my veins blowing out.  Waiting to hear if the doc wants to try for a vein in my neck or just do the picc line now".  He responded with "Snort it then".  He had no way of knowing, but I needed that laugh more than anything at that moment.

Shortly after that, another nurse came in to give it a try.  Apparently the doctors felt that if she couldn't get a line started, then it would be time to do a picc line.  So she tried the first time with a vein that was on the back side on my right hand.  Blow out.  Then she searched and searched and found a vein on the back side of forearm - a vein that nobody has ever tried to utilize before.  She held the needle up in the air and said "God, we need this one to work please, this girl has been stuck with enough needles".  This was going to be needle number 8.  Well her prayers must have worked, because the IV worked.

So the day continued.  A nice visit with my brother.  A nice visit with a fellow ninja.  I would finish up my Potassium treatments and now they have just started my PPN.  It's a huge bag of what looks like milk...maybe I should ask them for some chocolate syrup.

I now have another new roommate - this will be #4 this week.  Her husband keeps peeking around the corner and just said to me a moment ago, we are the nosey kind.  I just smiled and thought, don't make me be the roundkicking kinda :)

Another roller coaster of a day - emotions kind of all over the place.  Hopefully that will at least stabilize soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment