Monday, September 5, 2011

I think....it's Monday

Starting to lose track of what day it is - which happens to me any time I am not required to look at the date or the day of the week on a regular basis.  Happens even more so when my days seem to be a combination of the same stuff over and over and over and over again.

Today however - had its shake ups.

I woke up this morning to discover that the IV line they had been able to put in yesterday, was failing.  My arm was sore and tender to the touch and when they tried to flush it, it was very painful.  So my PPN treatment stopped.  But that was just the beginning.

After I had them remove the bad IV line, I went in and took a shower - figuring getting cleaned up for the day would help me feel better somehow.  As I was taking my shower, I noticed that I was now standing in water - unfortunately I couldn't see what the issue was, because I didn't bring my contacts to the hospital with me and without my glasses, I am blind five inches past my face.  So I quickly hurried up and finished my shower.

Jumped out of the shower and brushed my teeth.  Same thing - the water in the sink wasn't going down.  So the nurse was in our room, as she was helping the woman in the bed next to me get cleaned up - she leaned over to me and said I see your toilet is clogged, I will call maintenance.  I said I don't know anything about the toilet but the shower and sink aren't draining.  Well, I don't know which part of that she didn't understand - but she decided to let the water in the sink run so it would warm up so she could bathe my roommate.  She then ducked out of the room to give them the update on the sink and shower - when I hear water hitting the ground.  I look over the side of my bed and here is water coming out from under the doorway towards my bed.  I jumped up - shut off the sink which was overflowing because the nurse had left it running.

It was around this time that my mom arrived - dropping me off some items that I needed, but that couldn't wait for when my husband decided to come to visit.  Shortly after her arrival - they moved my roommate and I to another "wing" on the floor.  We got settled into our new room and the head of the nursing came around and gave us "apology" cards that had Wawa gift cards in them and apologized for any inconveniences.  Now to find out how much that bad boy is worth - probably a cup of coffee - but a cup of coffee I will enjoy when I get out of here.

One of my friends and her alien husband arrived.  Accompanied by a stuffed dog that her daughter wanted me to have to keep me company while I'm here.  We talked - brought them up to speed on what was going on with me - what is planned for tomorrow.  We talked about my current mind frame and how this was impacting my husband and children.  We caught up on other happenings going on in our lives - I wanted to make sure we talked about some 'normal life stuff' too.

My husband and my daughter would show up - having to bring my husband's truck down to the city (we don't bring the fun car to the city) - my son opted to stay home since it is not a comfortable fit for two full grown men and my little girl.  It would give me the opportunity for my husband to meet the alien.  I knew my husband was nervous, he is always quiet around people the first time he meets them - plus he is meeting them while his wife is laying in a hospital bed - makes for interesting times.  My friends would leave and my family would stay for a bit longer before we all decided to wrap up the visit.  I was tired and I knew they had about an hour ride home and it was rainy - and there is lots of stuff to do with tomorrow being the first day of school.  Something which I am going to miss.  Something which I am not happy about missing.

My great aunt and uncle would come to visit.  I was supposed to attend their 60th Wedding Anniversary party last weekend, but couldn't because of the effects of Gastroparesis.  I could not even pull together enough strength to just get ready to attend.  It made me sad, I have missed out on a lot of family stuff lately because of the way I feel.  There was a lot of family which was there.  So for about an hour I would catch up with them both - learn some fun fact information from uncle (something he has always been known for).  It was a great visit with them, besides the fact that it was happening in this hospital with me laying in this bed.  They would also bring me a gift - some comfy pajamas and slippers.  They know me so well, lol!

My nurse tonight was insistent on trying to start an IV line again - not for the PPN - but to use for pain medication, nausea medication, etc.  It hurt, but she got one started.  So I have received my pain meds and nausea meds - ate the water ice off of my clear liquid diet food tray.  And sipping some hot tea.

Preparing mentally for tomorrow.  Right now I am scheduled for an endoscopy - just to look around and make sure nothing new is going on in my throat or stomach.  Also maybe help find out why I was vomiting large pieces of blood.  I am also scheduled to receive my picc line tomorrow.  I ordered a special backpack last night - one that I can use to carry everything around that I will need when I am discharged from here.  I am trying to get everything straight in my head of this new reality - I am almost there.

I have been amazed at the out pouring of support, well wishes and love that I have been receiving from people I see on a daily basis and those I see less frequently and those that I haven't seen since high school.  It is comforting to know.  It also helps me to know that I have now brought some level of education to them about Gastroparesis and that I am doing my part in helping to get the word out - hopefully a cure will be found.

No comments:

Post a Comment