Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Conclusions and Decisions...

So my day definitely didn't go as planned.

After being at work for maybe 30 minutes, I had to make the decision to go home.  The pain in my stomach was excruciating.  Before leaving the office, I put in a phone call to my doctor's office again letting them know that I needed some type of pain medication that would take the edge off enough but that I could still function.  While I waited for the return call - I went home and took the only pain medication I have right now, Dilaudid.

My pain slowly lessened and the next thing I knew, I was waking up at 3:30pm.  I had taken the pain medicine at 10:30am.  The doctors office would call me back and let me know that I could take Percocet - but the kicker was I have to go pick up the script since it is a narcotic, they can't mail the script to me or call it into my pharmacy.  My doctors office is about 45 minutes away.  I am hoping tomorrow after my weekly delivery to run down there and get the script - as I am now out of pain medication.

The nausea is intense.  The Zofran has not been helping.  The nurse at my doctors office said that I was supposed to let the Zofran dissolve on my tongue - not swallow them.  I told her that would have been nice to know.  So when I got home, I looked at the bottle.  The directions said nothing about dissolving anything on my tongue - so I called the pharmacist.  The pharmacist confirmed the kind I had was to be swallowed but apparently my doctor five days after I was discharged from the hospital sent them a script for the dissolvable kind.  Thanks for letting me know.  So I will pick that up tomorrow.

Then for some reason tonight I decided to look up the side effects of Mestinon - one of the other meds they have me on.  Most common side effects include : nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal cramps, etc.  HELLO?!?!?!  Are you kidding me?  I am already dealing with all of that and you add a medication that causes that?

So can you guess what decision I made tonight?

That's right...I am no longer taking Mestinon.  I will inform my doctor when I see him in a couple of weeks.  The nausea and stomach cramps have been what's wrecked me the most recently - so I am going to eliminate something that is known to cause it and see if I at least get back to my 'normal' nausea and pain levels.

We shall see - but for right now, I am taking my treatment into my own hands and making a decision that I think is best for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment