Tuesday, October 25, 2011

A step in the right direction...

My plan of attack is working.

Putting that little extra touch on getting ready in the morning is helping to boost my 'self esteem' and starts my morning off with a smile.

Yesterday I made the call to my dietitian.  Told her that I was interested in cutting back to 5 days a week on my TPN, so I could move towards getting disconnected all together and eventually having my picc line removed.  She asked me what I thought about 4 days a week and I was ecstatic.  But I was trying not to get my hopes up because I knew she didn't have the authority to make the decision, that it had to be cleared by my doctor.

So I met with Vanessa this morning - the home nurse that has been seeing me for a while.  She changed my bandaging - there was a good amount of blood this time.  It was weird because I had noticed that there was fresh blood pooling under the bandaging this morning.  When she took off the bandaging it was a little more obvious what was going on - and also helped to explain the pain I was having in my arm on Sunday.

Your body naturally wants to close up a 'wound'.  My body for the past two months has been trying to heal over the tubing that is being used for the picc line.  Last week when Vanessa changed my bandaging I noticed that the skin had grown and extended up the tubing (which honestly I was grossed out by and was praying that I wouldn't be left with a nasty lumpy scar).  Well, this morning we found out that the blood supply had stopped to that extra skin and it was separating from my arm.  I know gross.  So Vanessa cleaned everything up and now I am just dealing with my arm being sore from all of the clean up.

Then as I was heading out of the office for the day, I received a voice mail from my dietitian.  She was calling me back about the doctor's decision.  To say I was nervous would be a tad understated.  But ultimately as I listened to the message, a huge smile came across my face.  The doctor had decided that he would cut me down to 3 days a week.  The dietitian and pharmacist then decided that those 3 days would include lipids in each of the bags - in the event I can't get the proper nutrition during the other 4 days each week.

3 days!  That is 4 days of freedom.  4 days to feel somewhat normal.

I CAN'T WAIT!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment