Monday, October 3, 2011

She shoots......she scores!

Setting goals.

I think all of us at some point in our lives have set a goal - whether it was a short term goal or even a long term goal.  The feeling you get from achieving those goals - can be amazing.  I think setting goals when you are dealing with an illness - is all that more critical.  Special events that you can focus your energy on, which in turn might keep you from constantly thinking about being sick.  Basically, a distraction.

This past summer, my goal was to get to my friend's wedding and take the pictures for her wedding.  I made it to the wedding and did my best at the time on the pictures.  It was muggy as hell that day which was definitely affecting how I was feeling.  But I made the trip - something which I wasn't always sure I was going to be able to do.

I think I might have my next goal in mind.  My cousin is getting married at the end of February in Charlotte.  I really want to go.  I originally was planning on just going by myself for the weekend - but I really want my family to be there too.  The hard part was that my daughter isn't allowed to come to the reception because she is below the age cut off.  I was struggling with going to an event that she couldn't be there with us.

So tonight I get a call from one of my other cousins - who is more like an older brother to me.  We both catch up on how the other is feeling - talk a bit about work and the family.  And then we shifted gears and talked about going to the wedding.  After talking to him, I want to go more than I did already.  He had talked to my brother as well - and the plan is to stay an extra day.  This way we can hang out at the hotel together - catch up - let the kids all swim in the pool - just have some more time together.

So I think that is my goal.  To go to Charlotte in February for the weekend.  See my cousin get married.  Spend the weekend with my cousins.  I definitely want to fly - the drive would be way too long - but I would have to get clearance for my husband to fly (his lung collapsed earlier this year).  If he can't fly, I'm not sure what we will do.  But we've got time to figure it out I guess.

"Long" term goal set.  "Short" term goal accomplished too - get distracted from the fatigue and pain that I have had all day (thanks to my cousin for a great phone call and lots of laughs mixed in with all of the serious conversations)!

No comments:

Post a Comment