Sunday, October 9, 2011

Recharging...

Recuperating.

Yesterday was our annual Pig Party.  Now it's not like we have the party the same time each year - it's kind of when the mood strikes (usually in the summer) - the guys all get together at our house for a day of fun.  This year's event happened much later in the season, but we couldn't have asked for a better day - the weather was perfect.  The past few weeks have been filled with lots of rain and yesterday was beautiful, sunny and warm.

If you don't know what a pig party is - it is basically a pig roast.  In the years past, we would order a pig that had already been cooked - but this year the guys decided they wanted to do it themselves.  We had two large cookers going - one holding a 200lb pig and the other holding two smaller pigs, each probably less than 50lbs.  So the guys had to do everything from killing them, de-hairing them, gutting them, etc. - something which I am glad I was not a part of on Friday and that it all took place when I was not around.

Yesterday morning I woke up around 6:30am - went outside and checked on the cookers and they had both gone out overnight.  So I went in - woke up my husband and told him he need to get up and get them started again.  The day started from there - next was setting up the laser tag moon bounce that we had rented.  My husband and I were both not pleased with the game for the kids (especially given the cost of it) - so we woke up our daughter and made her come outside and check it out.  She walked out and said "This sucks".  We couldn't agree more - so off I went back to the rental place to exchange it for a large moon bounce that the kids would definitely enjoy.

Then the race was on - get showered, get hooked up to my TPN bag, start cooking and setting up before people arrived.  By this time - my energy was already gone and I was spent.  But I pushed through.  Got out of the shower and took some pain medicine - looked at the clock and realized it was almost 12:00 - which meant I wouldn't be able to disconnect from my TPN bag until 10:00pm.  It was going to be a LONG day.  About an hour later our friends started showing up and I was in the kitchen cooking until after 3:00pm.

I finished cooking and then it was time to sit down and hang out with our friends.  I watched as the kids were running around - most of them not leaving the moon bounce until their parents said it was time to go home.  Talked with a lot of people.  But to say I was exhausted was an understatement.

Most years, we are recuperating the following day from a very late night full of several adult beverages and full bellies from great food.  Well, that is everyone elses recuperation today - mine is a little different.

I didn't get to enjoy any adult beverages.
I didn't get to eat any of the roasted pig - which I heard was amazing.  My daughter was standing in front me eating it and I could smell the smokiness on her as she talked to me with the food in her mouth.
I didn't get to eat any of my potato salad or macaroni salad.
I didn't get to eat any of the yummy desserts that our friends made.
I didn't get to eat any of the buffalo chicken dip.

I did get to hang out with friends.
I did get to laugh.
I did get to smile at the kids.

Everyone headed out - the husband was in bed already - his friend sleeping downstairs.  I cleaned up some, mainly getting everything that needed to get into the fridge taken care of.  This morning we finished up - dishes, cans/cups disposed of, chairs and tables stored away, etc.  My body is still trying to gain back its strength - fortunately I am working from home the next two days which is definitely going to help.

One thing I did learn - sometimes wearing myself out is worth the happiness experienced.

No comments:

Post a Comment