Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Sometimes plans work and sometimes they don't...

It's been a few days since I have posted, but life has been super busy lately - and nothing has been going according to plan.

Well, I guess I can't say nothing.  I have started my 3x a week on TPN and I have to say I am loving the days not having to carry around my bag.  Even though I have the picc line in - the freedom of just being able to jump up and doing something is so refreshing.  The timing on that couldn't have been more perfect as I had a busy weekend scheduled.

Friday at work are currently working half days - which I LOVE!  It allows me to get out of work at a reasonable time, tend to some errands or just run home and take a nap before my daughter gets done school and I have to take her to the dojo to train.  I was getting ready to head out of the office on Friday when my cell phone rang and the call ended up delaying my departure by about 30 minutes.  I ran home and threw some laundry in the washer and dryer - jumped back on the computer to finish some work - and before I knew it my daughter was home.  I needed to run an errand after she was done training, however my husband called and asked me to come home instead.

Saturday...ah Saturday.  I slept in.  Didn't have to worry about rushing to get up and get ready so that I could be hooked up to my TPN bag early enough that I could disconnect at a reasonable time.  I just can't explain how good that felt.  Arrived at the dojo after driving through the beginnings of the snow storm that rolled into the area.  Shortly after my arrival, Sensei made the decision to close the school and keep the children safe and their parents off the roads.  So it was the mad dash with my partner in crime to call everyone scheduled for classes that day to advise them of the school closing.  A few people didn't get called - but eh, whatcha gonna do.

After leaving the school, all though I dreaded the thought of going, I headed to the grocery store because we had no food in the house (well, actually this was the second stop because I had to pick up a part for my husband's truck - since he was already out plowing the roads).  After over an hour and several hundred dollars later - my daughter and I loaded up the car and headed home with all of the groceries.  Not long after getting home - our power went out.  And stayed out.  More chaos broke loose in the house and in the middle of the night we lost several appliances and electronics due to a power issue...so we will just leave it at that and we had a house full of unhappy people.

Sunday morning my daughter and I got up, got dressed and headed to the dojo for the Halloween Party.  Oh and let me not forget - another day of no TPN - Woohoo!  We arrived at the school and were there for several hours - we had a lot of fun - but I was completely exhausted by the time I came home.  I had planned on cooking my family dinner - however my energy levels were completely diminished and they were left to fend for themselves.

After a weekend of non-stop running around - and fortunately without having to carry my TPN bag - I now found myself at Monday and going through the steps of hooking up for the day.  It was kind of depressing - but I did it.  I talked to the dietitian later in the morning and asked her what my next steps would be with my TPN and the picc line.  So it looks like I will remain on 3x a week for definitely this week and probably next week as well.  If everything goes ok, then the following week I will not use any TPN but I will continue to have my picc line.  If that goes ok and I don't have any issues - then they will pull my picc line the following week.  So I am keeping my fingers crossed that this is one plan that we can stick to - because nothing I had planned for the past couple of days really happened the way they were supposed to.

There are definitely times when planning is in order - and most of the times I am someone who likes to know what has to be done or attended to each day - I just feel like I accomplish more if I have a plan in place.  But sometimes it's good to just go with the flow and see what happens.  At the end of the day there isn't much that can be done about a wrench being thrown into a plan - but I can control if I let it affect me or not.  Here's to hoping my TPN and picc line plan stays on track - because I would really, really like to get back to feeling somewhat normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment