Sunday, November 6, 2011

Scratch today...

Today has not been a good gastroparesis day.

It was nice to sleep in - somewhat - this morning with the changing of the clocks and all.  The dogs for the most part cooperated, but the sunshine coming in through the window didn't help (I have a difficult time staying asleep in the morning with the light in my face - but that doesn't mean that I have a difficult time just staying in bed).

I think I must be having a delayed reaction from last night's dinner - because I didn't eat anything today, however I am having all kinds of symptoms.

I have been in pain all day.  My entire GI system seems to be swelling and pushing up underneath my rib cage and thus pushing on my lungs.  If you've been pregnant - it feels exactly like when you are late in your pregnancy and there is just no room left in there and everything is pushing up into your chest.  It's extremely uncomfortable and frustrating.

My stomach also seems to be distending more and more with each passing hour.  The bottom of my shirt is no longer sitting at my hips like it was this morning.  It is now riding up the middle of my stomach - not an attractive sight at all.  My back is aching from my stomach being so far distended.  I'm nauseous and just getting plain ol' cranky.

These are the times that I have to try to stay strong mentally.  These are the parts that as of right now, I have no solutions for besides dealing with it.  But sometimes dealing with it just plain sucks.  My family is enjoying a fun seafood night for dinner and instead of me eating with them - I am sick from the smell and sitting on the couch just feeling like crap.

It's not much longer before the FDA has their meeting - and it's also not much longer before I go to see the new gastroenterologist.  I am trying not to get my hopes up about the new doctor - because I know the options out there are few and have tried a lot of them.  I am hoping that the FDA works hard to bring new treatments to patients suffering from gastroparesis.  I wonder if they would be more quick to respond if they had a family member who suffered with this condition...I know in reality the answer is probably yes, but I would hope that following this meeting that they will be more informed and want to help us.

Time to go stretch out (as best I can) and give myself some more breathing room...and I think some pain medication is in order as well.  Here's to hoping when I wake up tomorrow that my big belly will be gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment